The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) Legal Observer program is part of a comprehensive system of legal support designed to enable people to express their political views as fully as possible without unconstitutional disruption or interference by the police and with the fewest possible consequences from the criminal justice system.
NLG Legal Observers (LOs) are not part of the demonstration. LOs observe and document interactions between law enforcement and demonstrators in anticipation of future civil or criminal litigation under the direction of NLG attorneys. NLG Legal Observers do not negotiate with law enforcement, provide legal advice, or serve as peace marshals.
For more information about the National Lawyers Guild’s Legal Observer program, visit https://www.nlg.org/history-of-nlgs-mass-defense-program/.
Want to become a legal observer?
We have several legal observer trainings this year!
- April 23rd, 2023 @ 2PM (virtual, register here)
- May 4th, 2023 @ 6PM (virtual, register here)
- June 7th, 2023 @ 6PM (virtual, register here)
- September 6th, 2023 @ 6PM (virtual, register here)
- November 8th, 2023 @ 6PM (virtual, register here)
Though NLG Legal Observers are typically law students, legal workers, and lawyers, trainings are open to everyone – EXCEPT those working for or with government or law enforcement agencies – interested in being trained and serving as an NLG Legal Observer. Legal Observer trainings are also closed to the media.
For more information about our legal observer program, or to request a specific training, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request NLG Legal Observers for your demonstration:
- Northeast Ohio: https://tinyurl.com/CleLegalSupport
- Cincinnati: https://tinyurl.com/CinciLegalSupport
- Columbus: https://tinyurl.com/CbusLegalSupport
- Anywhere else, email email@example.com
The Ohio Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild asks that all requests for Legal Observers are submitted AT LEAST one full week in advance. We will try to fill all requests for Legal Observers; however, we cannot guarantee the availability of Legal Observers.